Japanese Insulting Gesture #9

Folklore Form/Genre: Japanese gesture/mannerism       Informant: Derek Nagahashi

Name: Japanese Pinky Gesture           Place of Origin: Japan

Date Collected: 11/4/2018

Derek Nagahashi was born in Tokyo, Japan on 10/15/2000. He grew up most of his childhood there before moving to New York in 2010. He learned and used many Japanese gestures growing up and proceeded to teach me some.

Social Context:

I collected this gesture from Derek over facetime. I asked him if there were any more traditional insulting gestures that older people might use instead of younger people. He proceeded to lick his middle finger and brush his eyebrows with that finger. This means that you are doubting what you are hearing, or what you are hearing is nonsense.

Cultural Context:

This gesture came from old Japanese times. When someone did this gesture, it meant that they cannot believe what you are saying and you are speaking blasphemy.

Item:

Informant’s Comments:

Derek said this gesture is not used very often anymore, as it was more popular during older times. The older generation probably still uses it sometimes he says.

Collector’s Comments: 

I find it really interesting how this is insulting, as the gesture itself is not outwardly insulting. One would have to understand the meaning behind the gesture to get it, which I find very interesting and unique to Japanese culture.

Collector’s Name: Brian Chiang

Tags/Keywords:

• Gestures
  • Japan
  • Insulting
  • Eyebrows
  • Mannerism