Shoes ready? Check

General Information

• Language: English 
  • Tradition
  • Country of Origin: USA
  • Infromant: JF
  • Date Collected: 10/16/2021

Informants Data

• Unlike the traditional running or jumps in track the informant was recruited for the throwing events which consists of javelin throws, shot put, the hammer, and the discus. The informant plans to major in Econ and philosophy. During HS he used to be part of the varsity football team for 2 years and did track for 3 years.

Contextual Data

• Cultural context: JF states that the most dedicated members of the track and field team have their own traditions that help them either focus before an event or help them get mentally prepared.

Item

• Before each throw the informant said he ties his shoes over and over again. Since he needs his shoes really tight before he goes in circles trying to throw the put as far as possible he needs to make sure nothing is wrong with his shoe or else it’ll mess up his routine.

Informants Comments

• Tying my shoes has been a tradition that I and others in many different sports do in order to make sure we’re not slipping”

Collectors Comments

• As I’ve previously mentioned on another post, tying the shoes is something that I used to do when I played soccer. I would always do it to alleviate any nervousness I had and to make sure they wouldn’t untie mid-game.

Collectors Name

• Robert Lopez