Japanese Insulting Gesture #10

Folklore Form/Genre: Japanese gesture/mannerism       Informant: Derek Nagahashi

Name: Japanese Shoes Off Gesture           Place of Origin: Japan

Date Collected: 11/4/2018

Informant Data:

Derek Nagahashi was born in Tokyo, Japan on 10/15/2000. He grew up most of his childhood there before moving to New York in 2010. He learned and used many Japanese gestures growing up and proceeded to teach me some.

Contextual Data:

Social Context:

I collected this gesture from Derek over facetime. I asked him if there were any more traditional insulting gestures that older people might use instead of younger people. He then told me that it is insulting if you do not take off your shoes before entering any house.

Cultural Context:

This gesture came from old Japanese times. Taking off your shoes has always been seen as respectful and courteous in Japanese culture, and people still do it today. People do it as a sign of respect and if you fail to do so, it can be seen as insulting

Item:

Informant’s Comments:

Derek said this gesture is used all the time, as it you must take off your shoes before you enter into any household.

Collector’s Comments: 

I find it really interesting how this is insulting, as the gesture itself is not outwardly insulting, but if one fails to do this it can be seen as insulting. I am also not sure if this stemmed from Japan or not, as many cultures also adapt this rule of taking off your shoes before entering the house.

Collector’s Name: Brian Chiang

Tags/Keywords:

• Gestures
  • Japan
  • Insulting
  • Shoes
  • Mannerism