Rock-a-bye Baby (Ali Silva)

Title: “Rock-a-Bye Baby”

General Information about Item:

• Children’s folklore, lullaby
  • Language: English
  • Country of origin: America
  • Informant: EB
  • Date Collected: October 16, 2021

• EB was born in Palm Beach Gardens on March 22, 2002. She grew up surrounded by her extended family and lived with her mother, father, and older sister Katy. She attended private schools throughout her life and she played lacrosse, volleyball, and soccer. Her family owns a sailing company so they spent lots of time on the water. Her parents were very involved in her activities. 

• Cultural context: This lullaby references the typical sleeping arrangement of young children in a cradle. It is important to note that this lullaby actually has very frightening lyrics, saying the cradle will fall with the baby inside which would result in injury. This lullaby, as others are, is sang in a soothing tone despite its graphic content. 
  • Social Context: EB recalls learning this song from her grandmother. She grew up living across the street from her grandparents, so she would frequently spend the night at their house. Her grandmother would sing this song to her when she was going to bed on these nights. 

Item:

“Rock-a-bye baby, on the treetops,

When the wind blows, the cradle will rock,

When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall,

And down will come baby, cradle and all.”

• This lullaby is a short, rhyming song. The message of the song is scary for a child, but sung in a gentle voice, so as not to frighten the child. 

Associated File:

Informants Comments:

“My grandma still sings this song to me every so often. I don’t see her as much because she moved, but when I do see her she sings to me.”

Collector’s Comments: 

I know this lullaby from my childhood as well and it is simple so I can see how it would be widely used across America, from Florida to California. 

Collector:

Ali Silva

Dartmouth College

Russian 13

Professor Gronas and Professor Apresyan

Fall 2021

Tags:

Dartmouth

Students

Verbal Folklore

English Lullaby

Baby