Organic Farming DOC Trip

General Information about Item:

• Informant: Jordan K.
  • Location: Hanover, NH
  • Date Collected: 11-2-2021
  • Form of Folklore: Customary/Ritual
  • Language: English

• Jordan is a female, class of 2023 Dartmouth undergraduate. She was born and raised in Cincinnati, Ohio. She experienced his DOC trip back in 2019F when he was a freshman.

• Cultural Context: First-year freshman trips are outdoor orientations programs led by returning students. They happen every fall – with exception to last year because of the pandemic. There are multiple outing options to choose from prior to arriving to campus.
  • Social Context: Coming into Dartmouth, students have little knowledge about the school and its surrounding nature. To expose it to them, returning students take the freshman on trips so that they can build relationships for their four years as undergrads.

Item:

• Jordan received a survey asking for trip preferences before arriving to school. Unlike all other informants, Jordan said “I chose the ‘random’ option for my trip preference. This implied that they would choose the trip for me. I got the Organic Farming option… I wasn’t too happy at first, but I ended up enjoying it.” After doing some research on Farming DOC trip, I found that “Organic Farming Trips take place either at our very own Dartmouth Organic Farm or Luna Bleu Farm in Vermont. On the trip, you will learn the basics of organic farming while helping out with chores and various projects.” Attached below is a picture that Jordan sent to me; it is the sign outside of the organic farm where they spent most of their time.  

Associated file:

Transcript:

• “I knew I wanted to go on a trip, but I didn’t have any preference – hence why I chose the random option. Just like many others on the trip, I had no experience about farming, but that’s what made the trip fun because we were all learning together… I now help my mother with her garden when I’m back home.”

Informant’s Comments:

• J.K. said that she was concerned when she found out that she got the farming choice. But after reflecting upon it with me, she liked the overall experience.

Collector’s Comments:

• Jordan was the only informant that I interviewed who went with the Organic farming option. This one sounded like more a learning experience than an outing.

Collector’s Name: Ben Keeter