My Dinosaur (Ignacio Ortiz)

• Title: My Dinosaur
  • General Information about item:
    • Verbal Lore, lullaby
    • Language: English
    • Country of Origin: United States
    • Informant: J.M
    • Date Collected: 10-27-2021
  • Informant Data:
    • J.M. is a male Dartmouth student in the class of 2025. He was born and raised in California, USA. J.M. is very involved in the Dartmouth Outing Club and he has found a good, strong community. He enjoys spending time with his family and aspires to be a successful professional in the Biology field when he graduates. 
  • Contextual Data:
    • Cultural Context: Lullaby’s involving ancient creatures, such as dinosaurs, have been very alluring to children all over the world. Natural elements and animals are oftentimes soothing and a good subject for lullabies. 
    • Social Context: Comparing a child to a dinosaur can be a playful and endearing pursuit. J.M. was very comforted by the fact that his father saw him as his little dinosaur. 
  • Item:
    • The last passage of this picture book is very beneficial to induce a child into sleep. It is sung with soothing tones and provides a sense of closure, ideal for terminating the day and initiating sleep.
  • Associated File:

• Transcript:
    • Good night my dinosaur,
    • sleep tight my dinosaur, 
    • soon I ‘ll see you again, 
    • my very best friend, 
    • good night, sleep tight, 
    • my dinosaur.
  • Informant’s Comments:
    • This was his favorite bedtime lullaby. It was really useful to soothe him after he had a stressful day.
  • Collector’s Comments:
    • I found this lullaby very comforting and sweet. I can see why J.M. loved it and remembers it to this day. The emotional attachment that these songs have on him are similar to the ones I have for myself. 
  • Collector’s Name: Ignacio Ortiz
  • Tags/Keywords:
    • Verbal lore
    • Lullaby
    • Mark Alan Weatherby