Rings

Title: Rings

General Information about Item:

• Verbal Folklore: Material
  • English
  • United States of America

• Name: Buddy Teevens
    • Dartmouth YG: 1979
    • Residence: Hanover, New Hampshire
    • Years of experience coaching: 26 years
    • Current position: Head Coach of Dartmouth Football

• Cultural Context:
    • This allows the Dartmouth football team to value their victory and hard work in a concrete way, by cherishing their matching rings.
  • Social Context:
    • The Dartmouth football team players and coaches received matching rings for winning the Ivy League Championship.

Item:

• Material: Rings

Transcript of Associated File:

Coach Teevens: We got rings is kind of a cute thing. Rings last year we won a championship and some of the young guys—I don’t call freshmen “freshmen” I don’t know if that’s tradition or not I call them young guys young guys and old guys. Young guys are the first year guys and the old guys is everybody after. Why because there’s a connotation with “freshmen”. “Hey freshman, grab the water bags… hey freshman take the bags off” you know we don’t do that. Coming in I wanted our best players to play and as I tell them you’re all division one athletes and so the best guys are gonna show up—and I lost my train of thought.

HAILEY: The rings.

Coach Teevens: The rings so, a couple of young guys came in and said “Coach, the ring thing do we get them?” I said, “Were you on the team?” “Yes, we didn’t play.” “You’re on the team, the team won. Congratulations”

Collector’s Name: Kristen Maiorano

Tags/Keywords:

Verbal Folklore, material, football, rings