The Legend of Tonald Drump

Title: The Legend of Tonald Drump

Informant Info: Charles Jang is an Executive Editor Emeritus and former Office Manager of The Dartmouth Review.  He is a ’16 from Fort Worth, TX. He was interviewed on May 24, 2016 at the Review office in Hanover, NH.

Type of Lore: Verbal, Legend

Language: English

Country of Origin: United States

Social / Cultural Context: The legend refers to a former President and member of the Review and some of his deeds and exploits during his time within the organization. It is considered and presented as an entertaining story.

Transcript:

I was told not to use real names, so we will call him “Tonald Drump.” So Tonald was a real, real character, that one. I believe another staffer and I looked at the Wikipedia article for sociopathy, and it turns out he fulfilled like four of the five main characteristics. For one, he embezzled from the Review, just so he could pay for his checked baggage on Canada Air. For another one, he bought the crappiest furniture possible, so within about 6 months they started breaking down, chairs (not these chairs, these are nice), but yeah there’s one right behind my interviewer there, they started breaking down. A coffee table, which broke when another staff member accidentally kicked it. Let’s see, what other stuff is there?  I’m blanking at the moment. He worked at a firm, which I am told not to name, where he had to get as part of an assignment, information from this lady who had just come back from maternity leave, and of course she’s like “Well, Tonald Drump, I can’t help you right now, I have to get caught up on the work that I actually have to do.” And of course, Tonald Drump does not take “no” for an answer. I believe one of his plans is to take over a small African nation and rule it as a dictator someday. And so he keeps pestering her by email, and she says cut it out, I have work to do. And then he finds a way through outlook to send an email every 15 minutes, and you know what he does when she storms up to him and says please stop doing this, he sets the interval to 5 minutes. I don’t think he got a job there after his internship was up.  Just a hunch. He’s a real character, that one.

Collector’s Comments: This legend serves as a prime example of some of the unique personalities that find themselves working for the Review.  The entertainment value of this legend comes from hearing these stories recounted in the presence of staffers who knew the individual in this legend personally. It is also entertaining having these legends introduced to new staffers. It is unknown whether or not some of his exploits have been exaggerated.

One thought on “The Legend of Tonald Drump