Hug Lullaby – Reem Atallah

Title: Hug

General Information About Item:

Verbal Folklore Language: English

Language: English

Country of Origin: United States

Informant:  E.M.

Date Collected: 10-20-21

Informant Data: 

E.M. is a junior at Dartmouth. He lives a few hours away from campus and used to visit a lot as a kid. He is in a fraternity on campus and involved with DREAM. He has an older sister who just graduated college. E.M. mentioned that this lullaby was one of many lullabies that his mom and dad would sing to him either before bed or just for fun when he was outside playing or with his puppy.

Contextual Data:

Social Context: 
“Hug” was the first lullaby that came to mind for my informant. He said that he loved monkeys as a young child and that this was a story about monkeys that he liked to have read to him so much that his mother made it into a lullaby. She would sing this lullaby to him as a playful bedtime lullaby so that he would be content enough to fall asleep.

Cultural Context: 

This lullaby is based on the children’s book entitled “Hug” by Jez Alborough. This book was published in 2009 by a United States publishing house. This children’s book only contains one word “Hug” because of the emphasis on the illustrations in the book for young kids to look at. It is an endearing story of a cartoon monkey who implores every character he meets for a hug but cannot get one until he finds his mother.

Item:
Hug, Hug, Hug

Hug, Hug, Hug

Hug Mama, Hug Papa, Hug Puppy

Hug, Hug, Hug

Hug Mama, Hug Papa, Hug Puppy

Associated file: 

Informant Comments: 
“I thought it was very sweet of my mother to read this to me as a kid. She would hug me after she would say “Hug Mama” and whenever my dog was near I would hug him after the hug puppy part.”

Collector Comments: 
I thought this was a very adorable poem and also very unique because of the fact that his mother came up with reading this lullaby to him after she read the “Hug” children’s book.

Collectors Name: Reem Atallah

Tags: Dartmouth, English, Male, student, verbal folklore