Gone – The Head and the Heart

Genre: Indie folk

Mood: pull out the tissues

This morning, I was in a great mood. I woke up, made a cup of coffee, wrote in my journal, and planned out my day. Then I stumbled upon my past. I then realized where I was, and needed to find a song to reflect these feelings.

Listen to this song while you read this post, I dare you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ehBjmnVsg

“Gone” by The Head and the Heart is about heartache. The song about a very specific heartache about someone leaving out of fear instead of staying: “Like a dog I smelled your fear…”

The rest of the song talks about how all those days are gone now. They are left to the wind. The lyrics even go on begging the one who left not to remind him about the past with letters and postcards.

“Gone are the days when the wind would brush my face
Gone are the days when you’re the wind…”

I’m in a completely new place on my own. I just moved across the country without my close friends. My family is now a 31 hr drive instead of a 3 hr drive. I mean, I left New England fall… why would anyone do that?

It is hard not to look back on the past and glorify what was and what could have been. Right? Gone are the days when things seem like a dream.

What kills my feelings in this song is the very end. These specific lyrics: “Whether it’s your head or your heart / And you’re too damn scared to start.”

THEY USED THEIR BAND NAME IN THE LYRICS AND IT WORKED / WASN’T CORNY!

This song is literally about the band name. This song is about this girl who led with her head and not her heart and left a relationship. BRUH, that gets to me. Maybe it’s because I am a complete nerd about lyrics but ya know, I don’t care at this point. This blog is still basically my diary online.

One more comment: The silence at the beginning of the song is golden. I love the build, but the silence is the best part. Especially, when you know what is about to come with this song.

I hope you listen to this song. I hope you reflect on what’s gone, but that it helps you move forward in life.

xoxo

The Music Bean