Come and Get Your Love – Redbone (and a note)

Genre: Funk Rock

Mood: Unrestful but Hopeful

Your favorite musicians would look a lot different if this country were not built on racism and the categorization of non-white people as “other”.

As a music buff, I have taken a class or two revolving music at Dartmouth College. The class Indians Who Rocked the World taught me that Native musicians have been more a part of the American historical narrative than your textbooks would tell you. The class American Roots Music taught me that the beginning of folk, country, and rock music were adaptations from black gospel, blues, jazz music popularized by white musicians.

If America did not benefit from the backs of black bodies since creation, our musical heroes would look a lot different.

See, I have been away from this blog because I needed to educate myself. I needed to learn the ways in which I could grow and fight against the injustices of this world. Of course, my advocacy is not perfect. But I am trying. What I have learned is that as a white-passing Mohegan woman, I am blessed to have people look at me and see that I am white. Although, being Mohegan is not based on how “native” you look nor your blood quantum. I am not stereotyped because of my skin— and I can use this privilege to stand up for others.

But back to music. I am gonna give you one tiny example of how people of color have been erased from the American music narrative. Come and Get your Love by Redbone became a hit in the mid-1970s and then revived when used at the beginning of the movie, “Guardians of the Galaxy”. BUT WHAT YOU DIDN’T KNOW: Redbone is a considered a Native American Rock band.

Redbone broke barriers becoming the first Native American band to have a No. 1 single. Let’s be honest too, the song is a bop that is completely timeless in its ability to make you want to sing and dance along. Just look at this video and see the history that has been erased with this incredible rock classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0J6vURwLSc 

(seriously watch the video it’s epic)

I promise I will get back to sharing newer music and talking with musicians. But I feel it is important we learn histories that have been erased, and this is one of them. This is my little contribution. If you have any, PLEASE share with me 🙂

Until then, Indigenous Solidarity IS for Black Liberation. Let’s stand up for our brothers and sister. AND, listen to good music.

Love love love,

The Music Bean

PS: here is a link to an awesome movie https://www.rumblethemovie.com/home