Orchids – Jona Rei

Genre: Alternative Pop

Mood: Dance and Dance and Jam and Dance

Okay, here is a fun story. Last September, I decided to organize my first concert for an independent study. While I have done work with music production before, this was the first time I tried to conquer this solo. It was SO HARD to book an artist within the time frame and budget I had for this show.

As I was last-minute running around trying to find someone, I got in contact with Jona Rei. Jona and his band (then called Jona and the Jetts) came and played at the concert. It was truly INCREDIBLE. I was overwhelmed with the talent and brightness brought into the room.

Now, Jona has asked me to share two things with you today. First, help announce that his new single ‘Orchids’ comes out TODAY. I had the privilege to hear it and its truly a hit. All the music Jona creates makes you just want to dance to. Trust me, you wanna listen to this song and have a quarantine dance party (and a margarita because that’s the vibe of the song and why not).

The second thing Jona has asked me to share is his story of how he became a musician. As two indigenous people trying to make it in a colonized world, we gotta stick together and share our stories. So, here is my friend Jona’s story.

“I’ve had many names that I went by, but I’ve finally settled on a name. My full name is Jona Rei and the name comes from a nickname that my maternal grandfather gave to me. He used to call me “Johaanaa’ei” which in Navajo means “Sun Carrier”. I liked the name Jona so I though Rei would be fitting as it rhymed with my nickname.”

Although Jona never had formal music lessons or training, he taught himself almost everything he knows about music, “My story is that I do everything in my music. I write it, record it, produce it, promote it, and release it entirely on my own.” He later explained that he learned how to “write, record, and produce” music on the internet. “On the reservation there just aren’t really any music programs, music communities, or music-related schooling. At least not when I was growing up.” In these limited resources for Native musicians, Jona wants to be a part of changing this narrative: “I want to open a record label called “Johona Ei Records” that focuses on bringing upcoming native artists to their audience.”

His music career, right now, is a family and friend business. While his Dad does the merchandising, he has close friends supporting him make his music and produce his music videos. Although he does not want to be “self-sufficient” forever, Jona recognizes this is what he has of right now to accomplish his goals.

Jona has already released the album ‘Simple Mind’ in 2019 and now, is hoping to release more music in 2020 including the single ‘Orchids’. “I think my story could be very inspiring to others especially young native artists such as myself.” Well Jona, I know you have already inspired me as an indigenous music lover myself.

‘Orchids’ debuts TODAY (05/22/2020) and I hope you check it out on Spotify, Apple Music, of iTunes. Not only because Jona is a good dude because he also makes BOMB music.

Go listen to some good music.