Writing Blog Entry 4

Final Draft of Research Paper

My final draft of my research paper was only about five pages of writing, but with the works cited and annotated bibliographies, it became about eight pages. I started to become a bit worried about my paper possibly being longer than 15 pages. On this final draft of my research paper, I thought I had everything well organized. I was planning on splitting my final research paper in three parts. The first part focused on the street artist Vhils, while the second part focused on Swoon, and the last part focused on Blu. Near the end of my paper, I was going to discuss how they all fought for the true representation of the common people’s struggles.

Once I looked over my “final draft”, I knew my thesis incorporated part of what we had learned in class, but it still needed to be revised. Also, focusing on the street artists separately did not help my thesis much if I was going to include the Mexican muralists afterwards. It would have been a paragraph included at the end of the paper, but it would be off topic relating back to my thesis “despite graffiti’s negative connotation, the artistic movement, street art, has been a form for artists to provide social awareness, social justice, and an expression of the common people”. Finally, I realized that I needed more research so that I could make Vhils the focus of my paper while comparing him to the other two street artists, Swoon and Blu. Once I had that covered, I could include the Mexican muralists. I connected them based on their same end goal even if some art was authorized while the other artwork was unsanctioned.