Final Portfolio

I have created this portfolio for my US History class using IPUMS data. IPUMS (Integrated Public Use Microdata Series) converts and publishes records of US census data into a consistent format available online for public use. This resource has been particularly useful for my research because it has pre-selected and randomized 1% samples of US census data. Using the pre-made 1% samples I was able able to manipulate census data in order to study historical trends in the United States.

I completed four projects on the topics of race, immigration, work and family in the United states. The first project analyzes the manner in which the asian race was enumerated from 1880 to 1990. The second project analyzes patterns of Mexican immigration from 1910 to 1970 and how american immigration policy may have affected the observed patterns. For the third project I focus on how race and immigration status impact national and regional female employment rate from 1910 to 1960. In the fourth project I research how the living arrangement for elderly men and women (aged 65 and older) change from 1920 to 1970.