Photo by NoFrills

Spanish and Other Languages

I took Spanish from kindergarten until eighth grade, earning a basic understanding of the language. Upon arrival in high school, I decided to move away from my previous course of study and take up Italian. Whereas my study of Spanish was obligatory in nature, I soon fell in love with Italian, investing myself fully in the language. Part of this interest was definitely a result of my Italian heritage—I have family in Sicily that I visit frequently. Though they speak English, I found that starting to learn Italian and “leveling the playing field” a bit was incredibly rewarding, allowing my family and me to share a closer bond.

Since my freshman fall at Dartmouth, I have taken an Italian class every term, slowly but surely making my way towards an Italian minor (or potentially a double major… I’m not completely sure). This past summer I took advantage of my increased fluency, working at a program in northern Italy to teach children English. Though there were other instructors that spoke no Italian, I found that having an understanding of the language earned me the approval of the Italians that surrounded me. Given the widespread dominance of English, I think it was refreshing for them to see someone put effort into understanding their culture. My knowledge of Italian (though by no means complete) was perceived as a sign of respect.

At the same time, however, it was sometimes difficult to use my not-quite-fluent Italian when surrounded by people who had been studying English since the age of five. (I’m not sure about South American countries, but I know that European nations tend to emphasize the importance of English from an early age.) Rather than letting me stumble through conjugations, those who could, would simply address me in English. While speaking with people in English on occasion was definitely a nice break for my mind, for the most part, it frustrated me. It made me feel like the effort I had put into learning the language had been all for naught—that I was seen as just another American who had tried and failed to bridge a cultural gap. In the future, I hope to eliminate that kind of interaction by truly mastering the language.

Returning to the discussion of Spanish… I think that eventually, I will restart my study of the language, as one day I hope to participate in a program like CCESP. I also think that Spanish is a very relevant language for those interested in pursuing a career related to International Development, which I am definitely considering.

Featured Image: Language Variety by NoFrills