“Remember, We Went Through This”

On Marriage:

“Find somebody who keeps you honest. Somebody who is willing to put their foot down but who will still treat you like a princess and let you get away with shit anyways– when it’s not important.” – My Mother

“It’s not a list. There’s no recipe, there’s no logic to it. It’s just you meet the person you want to spend the rest of your life with and you just know.” – My Father

“Finding a person you can grow and share with. You know, however far in the future your dad and I look towards, we still have the same goals, the same values.” – My Mother

“If you wait for the ‘right time’ to get married, you’ll wait forever. There’s no right time. If you find the right person, just do it. Unless you’re in school.” – My Father

On Parenting:

“Teach them to think for themselves. Because the world is always going to change, and you’re not always going to be there, and the situation going to change.” – My Mother

“Be a guide and a source of experiential wisdom for your child to ensure that your child takes advantage of every opportunity that the world has for them.” – My Father

“I don’t think there’s any rules. I think you have to give your kids what they need.” – My Mother

“I don’t think a lot of people know exactly what career and what life’s work is going to make them happy and so your job is to help your kids on that journey and help them flourish in it—whatever it is.” – My Father

“Figuring out what they’re good at and really learn how to take that and run with it.” – My Mother

On Life:

“Really take time to relax and just do things for yourself. Massages, acupuncture, work out– just take a break. And remember, always be the center of your universe. Until you have kids. Then they’re your center.” – My Mother

“In the end, it’s really just about being happy. Even if it’s something that doesn’t make you a six-figure, seven-figure salary, whatever makes you happy is the best thing to do. So, it’s a matter of just finding that. And it’s not that easy.” – My Father