Photo By Josue Mendivil

Reflecting on My Classmates’ Presentations

After listening to all of the presentations, I was left completely in awe of my fellow classmates’ work ethic, creativity, and passion. There were two in particular, however, that (in my opinion) went above and beyond the call of duty.

First, as someone with a background in economics, I really appreciated Sawyer and Henry’s presentation on microfinance in Nicaragua. Together, they did a superb job of summarizing the credit opportunities available in Nicaragua and highlighting the potential for microfinance to enact lasting change in the state. One thing in particular that stood out to me was the fact that microfinance represents 10% of total credit, yet it is a source of credit for 25% of borrowers. This, combined with the fact that microfinance loans are (1) intended to promote commerce and (2) often designed to satisfy the needs of low-income people, proved to me that microfinance is not simply another means for the rich to exploit the poor. On the contrary, microfinance is an example of capitalism done right. I think that sites such as Kiva, which aim to connect the average citizens with funds, have the potential to create lasting change in the lives of many Nicaraguans–they are definitely worth investigating further.

Next, I was absolutely blown away by Kate, Leah, and Valentina’s presentation on Cross-Cultural Maternal Mental Health. Their presentation was incredibly polished, with thoughtfully and creatively designed graphics that were easily accessible. Beyond the aesthetic, it was obvious that the group was passionate about their topic, having learned valuable lessons from both Dreaming Nicaragua and Pictures from a Revolution. Their idea to start a dialogue about post-partum mental health in the Casas Maternas was very well thought out, a result of the “trial run” they pursued with the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Women’s Health Resource Center. I really appreciate how sensitive the group was to the “stage fright” women might feel discussing the taboo subject of mental health. This sensitivity was reflected in the chosen medium for their project–drawing (an art form that transcends cultural divisions) affords a level of anonymity, allowing for subjects to communicate painful or embarrassing that they otherwise would feel bound to keep inside. I also thought that the concept of bringing a polaroid camera and taking pictures of mothers with their babies was an incredible concept, that would strengthen the bond between mother and child and (hopefully) combat a bit of the post-partum blues.

I am devastated that I will not be joining my peers in Nicaragua this winter, but I cannot wait to hear all about the success of their projects, and the lives that they changed for the better.

Featured Image: Dartmouth College, Hanover NH by Josue Mendivil