What is feminism?

I define feminism as the advocacy for equal rights and the termination of oppression across all genders. I have heard people incorrectly describe a feminist as an angry and aggressive man-hater. However, feminists believe no sex is superior to the other.

Reading A World Without Feminism and A History of US Feminisms made me more grateful for all progress that has been made. Everything that women can now do and were not given the choice to do before was fought for. Our lives now are so much different, however, there is a still a lot of progress that needs to be made. Conformity still exists in my culture and in many others. I grew up in a Hispanic culture that is predominantly patriarchal. The women around me are stay at home moms and the men are responsible for providing for the family. I am breaking my culture’s stereotype. There are large inequalities that our society is still facing. I was shocked to read about how low the percentages of female workers in corporate boards, politics, and STEM are. I had assumed the percentages were higher. The readings have broadened my definition of feminism because it does not only aim to eradicate the oppression of women, but also of oppression based on race, class, age, and sexual orientation.

Miss Representation shows how the media objectifies women. A soon to be mom is worried about having her daughter grow up in a society like this. The documentary shows a variety of women and their experiences. The way women are shown on the media is demeaning and is negatively influencing the way girls see themselves. Little girls are cutting themselves and starving themselves from the pressure of society to be “perfect”. Even the models on magazines, music videos, and commercials are photo shopped. The media pushes the idea that world revolves around appearance and finding love. Most female news reporters are on the air with low cut, v neck blouses, and short skirts. Story lines of female protagonists in movies are mostly all about finding the love of her life. It’s common to see female singers go up on stage with little clothing when you would think the vocals would be enough to get people to hear you. Miss Representation tells girls you “don’t have to use sexuality to attain empowerment in the world”.

She’s Beautiful When She’s Angry focuses more on the history of the feminist movement and the sexism that was fought against. Betty Friedman wrote the book The Feminine Mystique, inspiring women to take a stand. Interviews of people against the feminist movement included both men and women that thought the place of the women was in the household. Regardless, most women were united and determined to be heard. A group of women decided to catcall men to call for change. Because these women refused to conform to society’s norm, we have more rights than before. Now we need to take a stand and fight against culture’s oppression.