Olivia Goodwin

Hello internet world!

I am from North Carolina, but I was born in Ganzhou, China and was adopted around the age of 1 year old. I came to Dartmouth College because I felt at home in the outdoorsy atmosphere of campus with its smaller student population. I joined Spectra – the LGBTQIA+ club on campus; I identify as lesbian/gay, and my gender identity would most accurately not be labeled because I don’t quite know what makes someone boy or girl, aside from one’s personal affirmation – that said I present as cisgender female and accept she/her/they/them pronouns. Although I always enjoy discussing my sexual orientation and gender, I highlight myself as a pole vaulter. I was recruited to the Dartmouth Track and Field team as a pole vaulter/long jumper and have been doing track overall since around 5th grade. I do not find I am socially awkward, but rather I often feel I don’t fit in with “popular” social groups. Growing up, this led me to make friends with the other people who the main body decided were outcasts. Thanks to that tendency I have a diverse friend pool.

I have always liked school, even if the topics of class were uninteresting in the moment. As of now I intend to major in sociology; in high school I took the sociology class and absolutely loved it. I am also set on taking the pre-health track with the destination of medical school. Since middle school I have wanted to be a surgeon – the world will always need doctors; I am always amused when people think something is “gross” and I seem unhindered, so the idea of digging around someone’s innards sits with me okay. Also, again I like school so it’s not a problem I’ll be in it for a long time.

Extra information:  I have a Google blog of personal, creative, and random thoughts here. Additionally, my junior and senior year of high school I wrote up a short story explaining how I came to realize I’m lesbian. Click here to read it on Wattpad.

Thanks for getting to know me,

Olivia

High school track meet 2017