I ate my grandma

Title: I ate my grandma

General Information about Item:

• Verbal Lore, Joke
  • Language: English
  • Origin: Dartmouth College Athletics
  • Informant: Bailee Brekke
  • Date Collected: 10-21-18

• Bailee Brekke was born in. Naperville, IL. Her family moved lots throughout her childhood due to her father’s work. She moved away from home her sophomore year of high school to attend Culver Academy in Indiana, to pursue hockey. Her father, Brent is the assistant coach of the Clarkeson University men’s ice hockey team. She is currently a junior at Dartmouth College, where she is studying Psychology and Economics. She has been playing for the women’s ice hockey team since her freshman year.

• Cultural Context: The Dartmouth women’s ice hockey team often travels to other schools in the NCAA division 1 league to compete.  While travelling, they watch films to pass the time. Freshman traditionally pick out the films to bring on the bus and seniors choose which films are played. On a recent bus trip, the Disney film “Moana” was chosen and played. During a scene featuring a crab and the main character, Moana, the crab tries to steal a necklace given to Moana by her grandmother. Moana is protective of this necklace, which causes the crab to mumble and state that he “ate his grandma.”
    Social Context: This scene caused a lot of the Dartmouth women’s players to laugh, and in turn players began repeating the line “Mnm Mnm mm I ate my grandma” as well as replacing the word grandma for other relevant and miscellaneous things such as trailmix, hockey tape, and phone chargers.

Item:

• This is a joke shared by the Dartmouth Women’s ice hockey team. It is verbal, and is related to the film “Moana”.

Informant’s Comments:

• “This was a joke that is shared by our team. It still makes me laugh.”

Collector’s Comments:

• The joke is used to bond over the experience of watching a film together, as well as relating to the team’s favorite past times. It allows the team to bond and connect.

Collector’s Name: Sydney Hill

Tags/Keywords:

• Verbal Lore
  • Joke
  • Moana
  • Film
  • Hockey
  • Grandma
  • Exclusive