Hinman Window Superstition (Rick Gangopadhyay)

Title: Hinman Window Superstition

General Information about Item:

• Superstition, Magic Superstition
  • Language: English
  • Country of Origin: United States
  • Informant: Informant #5
  • Date Collected: February 23, 2018

• Began to work for Hinman second term of freshman year on campus. Has been involved in several divisions of the FO+M but was drawn to FO+M due to work hours and flexibility.  Originates from Kentucky.

• As new members come to work for FO+M, veterans among the group will pass down pieces of advice. This piece of advice stems from a superstition that has been passed down regarding closing time rituals for the Hinman window.  The origin of the superstition is unknown as well as when it was conceived.  If the protocol is not followed, then the negative result has historically inevitably occurred.

Item:

• If an individual at the Hinman window does not close the window promptly and swiftly at the end of the hours for Hinman, then someone will show up at the end of the day and ask for service. If the worker closes the window swiftly, then no one will show up asking for service.  As such, this Hinman worker was instructed to close the window with conviction at the end of each day.

Associated file (a video, audio, or image file):

Transcript:

• “It’s really true man, I’ve tested it.  Every time I keep the window even slightly open some new person shows up.  I don’t know… I don’t know to be honest.  Makes me start to be a little more superstitious these days.”

Collector’s Comments:

• I used to work for a small business in Massachusetts that had a similar policy of locking the door exactly at closing hour, which was 8:30PM.

Collector’s Name: Rick Gangopadhyay

Tags/Keywords:

• Superstition
  • FO+M