Phoenix At Last


After seven failed attempts, the four of us decided to head to the bus station so that we could go back home. As we sat at the bus station, a man approached us and asked if we were going to the other side. I told him about how we had tried multiple times, but we had not made it. I also told him about how we had been cheated one time. I remember he tried to pick up our spirits by saying, “You know what…you can do it, you can do it!” As it turned out, this man was also a coyote, but he was different than all the rest because he promised to buy us food. Anyone that promises to buy food for migrants must know a sure way to get them across safely. I turned to my cousin, and she suggested that we give it a shot if he was willing to give us food. We talked it over, and the four of us decided to give it one last shot. The coyote loaded us up in a van where we drove to a house near the border. As we walked in, we saw many other migrants waiting to make the journey to the United States.

Once twenty-five people had arrived, we all piled into a single van! They had cut out the seats in the van so that we were all able to fit. 2259524212_1a0c10ac8a_oThe van came to a stop in the middle of nowhere near the border. The two coyotes gathered all twenty-five of us together and told us about how tough the walk would be. They said that it would take approximately four hours, but to me it seemed closer to six hours because we had to keep changing elevation. When we reached a small border town in the United States, I was exhausted!
We had to cross a bridge in order to reach the restaurant where the trucks were waiting for us. On the other side of the bridge, I jumped into a ditch and hurt my ankle pretty bad. I told my cousins to leave me and go on, but they grabbed me and helped me continue on to the restaurant. When we arrived at the restaurant there were two trucks there. One was headed to Glendale, but we jumped in the one that was going to Phoenix. The driver had my female cousin sit in the front seat next to him so that it would look like they were just a couple driving. We made it through all of the checkpoints, and three hours later we arrived in Phoenix. My brother and father lived near Phoenix so I headed there when I arrived. After all the failed attempts, I could finally breathe a sigh of relief because I had made it safely to the United States.6639770973_3fa4f0c2af_b

Learning English