Final Reflection

The term has quickly come to an end and I would like to reflect on all that I have learned in this class. This class has been more that just being lectured about Nicaragua and then writing papers. This class has been very practical in that we have delved into the issues surrounding Nicaragua and discussed them. We’ve interacted with Nicaraguans in person and through skype. We’ve had guest speakers with experience in Nicaragua. We’ve had workshops and educational sessions. This class has been more than just a grade for me. I’ve really put forth a great effort in learning about Nicaragua in all facets in order to be prepared for when I go on my trip in December. Our professor, Douglas Moody, was amazing. He was not only knowledgeable, but he also facilitated great discussion. Also, knowing that he will be on the trip with us made me feel assured that he truly cares about Nicaragua.

I want to highlight some of the most influential experiences that I had in this class. By far, the experience that influenced me the most was when the Daughters of Corn dance troupe along with Compas de Nicaragua came to visit us in our class. I will never forget the discussion we had. They told us that they would never live in the United States because they are proud of where they come from and here in the U.S. we have an emptiness inside of us that they don’t have. After learning about all this issues that Nicaraguans face and all the adversity that they have overcome, it astonished me to see their energy and pride. Also, I was also very touched by the fact that despite their limitations, they do whatever they can to help one another. Through the Women in Action initiative facilitated by Compas de Nicaragua, microloans have been made available to families and these loans have truly made a difference. In addition, they spearheaded a soy food program to grow and cultivate soy which is an inexpensive and nutritional alternative to more expensive foods.

Another experience in which I learned a lot was when Dr. Jim Saunders came to speak to our class about the seven sins of humanitarian medicine. Even though I am not going to be part of the community health team when I go to Nicaragua, I feel like his advice is applicable to all those that volunteer on service trips. He addressed not going into the underdeveloped countries thinking that we are the saviors because we can indeed cause harm. Throughout the entirety of this course, I have realized that service is something that can harm if not done correctly and this is the last thing I want to do when going to Nicaragua. Dr. Saunders, also addressed not leaving a mess behind and not being bad guests. We have to remember that these countries are hosting us and just because we are going to help doesn’t give us the right to look down upon them because most of the time they know more than us. Something that a lot of in class speakers have addressed is learning a lot more than they would have thought from service trips. They thought that they were going to go to their respective countries and provide life-changing services. In reality, they made small contributions, but learned so much more than they gave.
I am very excited for this service trip to Nicaragua in December. I joined this trip because of my love for service. Obviously, that’s always a requirement, but many well intentioned people like me end up causing harm. I have received 10 weeks of training and I went from not knowing where the country is to knowing so much about the culture, the people, and service in general. I am ready to go on this trip and give my everything. I’m looking forward to interact with the local Nicaraguans and learn much more from them than I could ever teach them. I am completely humbled and I am ready to serve and listen to one of my brothers in god.