Writing Journal Post 3: First Draft of the Research Paper

I struggled condensing all the information I got from my sources into my first draft of my research paper. The thing I initial struggled with the most was coming up with a concise thesis from which to organize the rest of my paper. Ultimately I came up with a broad thesis that I plan on editing as I continue towards my final draft of my paper. Initial, I just started writing different tangential paragraphs about different topics that intrigued me about Frida and went back in and added transitions to make the paper flow. I a lot of paragraphs centered around ideas that were briefly mentioned in one of my sources. I would then do further research to really flesh out the point I was trying to make. I was really intrigued about Frida’s influence in modern day (considering the recent historic Women’s March) so I really wanted to contextualize Frida’s influence in modern society. When including analysis of different pieces of Frida’s art in my paper, I started out by finding analysis from a respected art historian using their analysis as a starting point. I then tried to look at the painting on my own and include my own unique analysis. I feel really good about having a full draft and I feel ready to go back in and fine tune my transitions and grammer. The editing process will hopefully include peer editing and maybe a visit to RWIT.