Postracial America

Image result for get out dean armitage and chris

Chris: Do they know… Do they know I’m black?
Rose: No.
Chris: Should they? It seems like… something you might want to, you know… mention.
Rose: “Mom and Dad, my uh, my black boyfriend will be coming up this weekend, and I just don’t want you to be shocked because he’s a black man… Black.
Chris: You said I was the first black guy you ever dated?
Rose: Yeah, so what?
Chris: Yeah, so this is uncharted territory for them. You know I don’t want to be chased off the lawn with a shotgun.
Rose: You’re not going to. First of all, my dad would have voted for Obama a third time if he could have. Like, the love is so real. I’m only telling you that because he is definitely going to want to talk to you about that… and it will definitely fucking suck. But that’s because he’s a lame dad more than anything else. They are not racist. I would have told you.

Get Out disrupts sanitized notions of race in the U.S. Throughout the movie, we are confronted with the abject danger of colorblindness. In this initial scene between Chris and Rose, her father’s acceptance of Chris is predicated on his “love” for former President Barack Obama. Ultimately the election of Barack Obama, the nation’s first Black president, ushered in a new era of “post-racialism” in the U.S. This ideology purports that America is free from prejudice, discrimination, and racial preference. But Get Out depicts how our goal should be inverted, from post-racial to post-racist.

Image result for get out dean armitage

Dean Armitage is cast as “the nice racist”– the white liberal that gives critical purchase to post-racialism. As he shows Chris around the Armitage “plantation,” he verifies Rose’s prediction. As the film progresses, the irony beneath Dean’s “post-racialism” is crystallized. The innocuous white liberal is revealed to be one of the most dangerous characters in the film. The Obama-lover led the “slave auction” and performed brain transplants on innocent black folks.

Dean: I know what you’re thinking.
Chris: What?
Dean: Come on, I get it. White family, black servants. It’s a total cliche.
Chris: I wasn’t going to take it there.
Dean: Well, you didn’t have to, believe me. Now, we hired Georgina and Walter to help care for my parents. When they died I just couldn’t bear to let them go. But boy, I hate how it looks.
Chris: Yeah, I know what you mean.

Dean: By the way, I would have voted for Obama for a third term if I could. Best president in my lifetime. Hands down.

In “The Politics of Race and Science: Conservative Colorblindness and the Limits of Liberal Critique,” Dorothy Roberts states: “Colorblind ideology posits that because racism no longer impedes minority progress, there is no need for social policies to account for race; any disadvantages people of color experience today result from their own flaws rather than systemic discrimination.” Peele’s development of Dean Armitage from the colorblind “lame dad” to the threatening white supremacist neurosurgeon shows the true danger of post-racialism.